Current Transmissions:

20131023

The Knight Line

The subway car rumbled through the tunnel zipping through various stations along the way. The car was taking them where they were needed.

Max was reading a newspaper when his cellphone chimed in. The noise was low and it didn't wake Suki in the seat ahead of him, she was crawled up on the chair fighting demons in another world.

"Hello."

"Um...err.... Hi. I think I might have dialed the wrong number."

"Who were you trying to call?" Max asked as he noticed the tone in the voice.

There was a long pause before the voice said, "A crisis centre. Look, I'm sorry my fingers must of slipped."

"That's okay. Do you want still want to talk? I'm a good listener and I've got nothing on my plate for the next little while," Max said as he placed the newspaper down and leaned forward.

"I'm not sure."

"What can it hurt? Like a help line I am just a voice in the night," Max replied. He got up and started walking down to a more secluded spot where he could chat freely. "Then you can call the crisis line after our chat if you want."

"Um.... alright sir."

"Max. Call me Max."

"Max... I'm... I'm... Urban."

"Hi Urban," Max replied with seriousness. "Tell me what are you planning on doing?"

"I... I want to kill myself. I have a gun I took out of my mom's purse and I want to end it all."

"Well,  if that's the way you want to go." Max said. "I've seen some hairy situations come about as a result of gun shot. The first thing you have to do is make sure you've stick the barrel in your mouth, and to do it quick."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean if you want to end it right you put the gun in your mouth and pull the trigger. Because if you hold the barrel to your temple, the gun will jerk involuntarily and instead of ending your life you begin the next stage as a vegetable or worse."

"Uh..." there was a pause. Max knew he was making the caller see things in a different light.

"If you don't mind me asking... Why do you want to kill yourself in the first place? What is the problem that you are facing that would make you want to kill yourself? Do you have a note?"

"A note?"

"You mean you were going to kill yourself without leaving a suicide note?"

"Do you mean a will?"

"No, not that. A will is something you leave to bequeath on family and friends. But that this doesn't concern you. A note is what you jot down, a sort of epitaph to the world on why you killed yourself."

"I had thought of writing one but never did..."

"Well grab a pad and a pen."

"Seriously?"

"Yes? Go find something. I will wait."

There was a minute pause.

"Um, I found a notebook I use for school."

"Good. Good. Now before you write I want you to jot down the things in life that you are upset about."

"There's a lot that I am depressed about."

"We're in no rush."

No comments:

Post a Comment