Current Transmissions:

20150723

"Things'll Get Brighter" [version.Upgrade]

Max looked around the classroom, movie posters on the walls, quotes from Toni Morrison on the chalkboard. The sound of the students playing in the yard; recess on a sunny, spring day. 

"It's great, Dex," he said.

Dexter leaned back in the chair behind the desk at the front of the room. Smiled and nodded. He had let his hair grow in; it made him look a little younger. Maybe he was younger, somehow, this time.

Max perched on the edge of one of the student's desks, looked at his longtime ally. His friend? 

"This wasn't a shift, was it? You chose this, made it happen."

Dexter nodded again. "I got too tired of too many folks with the same skin colour as me getting killed by too many folks with the same badge as me."

"Well, you've taught me a lot over the years; might as well share. They're lucky to have you."

"Thanks, Max. When I'm not at school I do a lot of community organizing, activist-type stuff."

"Those protests at the new LEGACY site downtown?"

Dexter smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment